Failed discipline.

Yesterday Little Miss watched as Charles opened her CD player, pulled out the CD, and I blew the various food particles and dog hair out for better playing. Once the CD was back in place, she insisted on mimicking.

Opened the CD player. Removed CD. Huffed and puffed and blew. Put CD back. And proceeded to do it, again. And again. And again, again, again, again, again.

We stopped her this time saying how proud we are that she has cleaned out the CD player and we can now hear the music again. Tried to distract with other toys/activities. CD player is on her mind all.the.time. now.

It continued today. The obsession with the CD player. After about the 65th time of telling her it was all clean and flat out telling her no, not to touch {oh yes, she's now saying no after the many times she's heard it today}, I slightly popped her hand.

She stepped back. Looked at me. Popped her own hand. Laughed.

Obviously that isn't the method of discipline to get through to her... We have not done time out yet as I have thought she's too young to truly understand. Maybe she would though?

Comments

squirrelgirl said…
I've recently started short time-outs with David, like 30 seconds or 1 minute, sitting in the middle of the living room rug without toys, blankie or books. He laughs through them, but it gets him away from whatever activity landed him there. So, while I don't think he truly gets the reason for a time out (to settle down and regroup, and to think about why something was wrong), at least it breaks the immediate pattern of behavior.
ringmaster mama said…
Welcome to parenthood. It only gets harder. I would try a time out with her. We started them at about 15 months for 30 seconds or so... sometimes that is all it took to redirect.
Leslie said…
Sounds very similar to my little guy. He likes to stand on the couch and when I tell him to sit down, he imitates me by pointing down and saying "dow, dow" & laughs too! I tried my first little time out this weekend. Not sure it worked but after unsuccessfully removing him from a situation several times, I finally decided to try it. I have heard of the 1-2-3 magic discipline methodology. I have not read much about it but it was recommended to me recently. I am not sure if we will use it but I thought I would mention it to you as well.