"Fifty Nifty United States"

Anyone know this song????



Thanks to this song, I won the Name 3 to Win game this morning on the radio! :-)

Every Friday morning, our local Christian Radio Station plays this game. Three contestants participate. The goal is within a total 15 second time frame, you are given a category and you must name three items in that category to move on. The person with the most categories, win.

This morning, it happened to be three girls. All three of us ended up with three complete categories at the end of the 15 seconds. On to the tie breaker...

The tie breaker is still only 15 seconds but you only have one category and must name as many items as you can and the person who listed the most, is the winner.

Before starting the tie breaker, the first gal asked for the easiest category. That is when Greg, one of the morning show hosts, went on about how they are all particularly the same randomness and it all depends on your background if one is easy or not...

So for the three way tie breaker, the first gal had "Name as many US Presidents as you can." {She got like nine} The second gal had, "Name as many current and past Cardinal's baseball players as you can." {She got like two! Better than I would have done!} I had, "Name as many US States as you can."

I immediately reverted back to the fifth grade, when I was apart of the chorus {although I can't carry a tune in a bucket...}, singing this Fifty Nifty United States song and began listing them in alphabetical order... I got to the K's before I was cut off {I won.} and the radio hosts were laughing. Again, Greg made a comment on how it is all based on one's background if a question is easy or not... hahaha!

Off air, I was asked if this really was a song and informed them that yes, yes, it is a song... They were amazed to say the least! And so was I!!! That I remembered the stupid song!!! haha!

Who knew that after all these years, that stupid song would still be stuck in my head AND to help me win a morning radio show contest! hahaha! Made me chuckle for the day. :-)
So now I'm awaiting the several CDs I won to arrive at my mailbox for enjoyment! :-)

Comments

Teri said…
I remember singing that song in elementary music class :) Fifty, Nifty United States From the 13 original colonies...
Jessica said…
I also sang this song in 5th grade..and still remember it!! Yay for winning a prize on the radio!!
Kelli said…
Too cool! Congrats
Lisa said…
That is hilarious because my husband and I were driving today and for some reason we started talking about the states and I sung him this song! I haven't sung it in quite some time and I did today! How weird is that?
mom said…
my oh my what I would have given to HEAR you singing that song! I bet it didn't sound as good as Away in a Manger.