My adventure in cooking!

Tonight I got bit by the "Better Crocker" bug. *Insert laughs here done by those cloest and dearst to me* Yes. I admit. I am NOT the world's greatest cook. I try. Sometimes. I usually end up burning or blowing up something. As the story is usually told when I am cooking, I will share it now.

Way back when... When I was in my early teens, I was attempting to make Homemade Banana Pudding. :-) My parents happened to be gone somewhere. So, I was following the directions and decided to heat up my ingredients in a glass bowl (yes, take a moment to re-read that) on the stove top. *Yes. This statement is not an error.* Right about now is when my oldest and wiser (hahaha) brother Matthew decided to walk around the corner. He took about two seconds to say, more like hollar at me, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING????" and in saying "DOING" he turned off the burner that the glass bowl was sitting on. Yep. At this instant the glass bowl burst and pieces went E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God that neither of us were hurt!

So, after the initial yelling at me came the complete laughter and well, the story has yet to die...Nor do I believe it ever will. This story will be told forever, right along with the "Oh, Z is for Zoro" which will be told another day and time. For those wondering... No, I am not a blonde. I am a brunette and yes, brunettes DO have more fun! :-)

Back to my cooking tonight. I did not blow anything up.

I decided to make Pigs in a blanket. I rolled the little sausage hot dog thing-a-ma-jibs in the cresent rolls. All is going great! I put both cookie sheet trays full of potential Pigs in a blanket into the oven on 375 degrees and set the timer for 15 minutes. Well, about 5 minutes into it, I smell something burning. I checked it. All looks well and it's still VERY doughy. I closed the oven and started mixing my ingredients for the Pumpkin Bread I also decided to make tonight. (See. I really was trying to be a little miss homemaker!) A few minutes go by and the darn fire alarm is going off!!!!!! WHAT??? I check the Pigs in a blanket and they still don't look done! So I fan the fire alarm until it goes off and let the stuff continue cooking. A few minutes later the darn thing goes off again!!!! This time, Charles comes upstairs to see what in the world is going on! LOL He checks them and well, they still don't look done at all... However, after further investigation the bottoms are completely black! Burnt like crazy!!! :-( So, out they come and into the trash they go. After the fire alarm goes off, yet again, I pop the Pumpkin bread into the oven to hopefully get something done right!

So, I'm asking. What did I do wrong??????? Why are the bottoms burnt?? It was on a non-stick cookie sheet that's been used a 1,000 times before! (Okay. So maybe not that many times as that would mean you'd actually have to cook...) ARGH! :-( I will say though. The Pumpkin bread turned out GREAT! :-)

Comments